Fr. Eugene Mahn Saw Hla (Priest in Charge).
No. 132, Hantharwaddy Street Kyi Myin Tine Tsp., YANGON Mobile: +95 (0)9 3135 4640.
The Present Site
The present site was formerly given as a free grant to the Anglican Bishop of Rangoon on 21st May, 1920, by the Government for religious purpose. However, no building was put up till 1937. So in 1937 the Suburban Development Trust alerted the Bishop (Anglican) to start constructing or to give back the land. Since he was unable to meet the demands of the government the bishop decided to give back the land to the government. About this subject certain Mr. Ignatius cleared himself and came to see Rev. Fr. Dessalle, asking him to go and see the bishop and request him to transfer the place simply.
Bishop West received Rev. Fr. Dessalle very well and promised to write the Development Trust Officer asking him to transfer the land to the Catholic Church in the person of Rt. Rev. Bishop F. Provost, Vicar Apostolic of lower Burma and his successors in office. Accordingly the transfer was made from the Bishop of Rangoon (Anglican) to Bishop F. Provost on May 20, 1938. The government gave the grant to Bishop F. Provost with the proviso that a building be put up on the land within a period of one year.
The Church’s construction started in 1939, but the construction came to a halt when war broke out in the same year. The semi-finished church was used till 1978. After the War the Church was put under the charge of Rev. Fr. Assear, attached to St. Francis parish, Tamwe. He used to come to Thingangyun regularly for confessions and Mass.
In 1952, Rev. Fr. Bordin SDB, a Salesian, was in Rangoon looking for a place to start a school, as a typical son of Don Bosco who was an apostle of youth. For quite a long time Fr. Bordin stayed in the General Procure, Rangoon. Incidentally, in 1953 the Archbishop of Rangoon offered Rev. Fr. Bordin the chance of taking care of the church of Thingangyun and the opportunity of starting a school in Thingangyun itself. The proposal was accepted and Rev. Fr. Bordin settled down in Thingangyun in a rented house of a certain Mr. Ariff about four furlongs away from the Church in Hninzigon, which he also employed as a primary school. From there he ministered to the Church and the needs of the Parish.
In 1954, it was cononically erected into a parish, separate from St. Francis Parish, by the Archbishop of Rangoon Most Rev. Dr. V. Bazin. On November 21, 1954, in the presince of the presence of the Salesian Provincial Very Rev. Fr. A. Alessi SDB and the Thingangyun Catholic community, His Grace the Archbishop, entirely and oficially handed over the parish of the Salesian Society. Rev. Fr. U. Bordin SDB became the first resident parish priest with Rev. Fr. Bertolino as his assistant. The number of souls at that time was about 800. By 1963 there were over 2000 Catholics.
In 1975, during the time of Fr. Cyril Francis, SDB, the Salesian mission was withdrawn and from that time onward till now the diocesan priests are taking charge of this parish. In 2004 there are 1544 Catholics.
၁၉၅၂ ခုႏွစ္၌ ဆေလးရွင္းဂိုဏ္း၀င္ Fr. Bordin လူငယ္မ်ားအတြက္ ေနရာရွာေနေသာ အခိ်န္၌ ၁၉၅၃ ခုႏွစ္၌ ရန္ကုန္ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္ဆရာေတာ္ၾကီးက Fr. Bordin အား ထိုေနရာ၌ ေက်ာင္းဖြင့္ရန္ အခြင့္ေပးလုိက္ေလသည္။ ၁၉၅၄ခု ႏို၀င္ဘာလ ၂၁ ရက္ေန႔၌ ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္ ဆရာေတာ္ၾကီး V. Bazin မွ ထိုသာသနာအားဆေလးရွင္းဂိုဏ္းသို႔ လံုး၀အပ္လုိက္ျပီး Fr. Bordin, SDB မွ ပထမဆံုးေသာ ေက်ာင္းထိုင္ဘုန္းေတာ္ၾကီး ျဖစ္ခဲ့ေလသည္။
၁၉၇၅ ခု Fr. Cyril Francis, SDB လက္ထက္တြင္ထိုသာသနာကို ရန္ကုန္ကက္သလစ္ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္ဆရာေတာ္လက္ထဲျပန္လည္အပ္ႏွင္းခဲ့ျပီး၊ ထိုအခ်ိန္မွစ၍ ယေန႔အထိ ရန္ကုန္ ကက္သလစ္ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္သာသနာမွဘုန္ေတာ္ၾကီးမ်ားကတာ၀န္ယူခဲ့ၾကေလသည္။ ၂၀၀၄ ခုႏွစ္ စာရင္းမ်ား အရ ကက္သလစ္ ဘာသာ၀င္ဦးေရ ၁၅၄၄ ဦးရွိေလသည္။
စဥ္ ဘုန္းေတာ္ႀကီးအမည္ တာ၀န္က်ခဲ့သည့္ခုႏွစ္ မွတ္ခ်က္
1. Rev. Fr. U Bordin (SDB) 1954-63 The only Salesion mission in Yangon Archdiocese
2. Fr. Bertino (SDB) Assist 1958-
3. Fr. Thomas D’Souza (SDB) 1965-69
4. Fr. Cyril Francis (SDB) 1969-1975 1975- Salesion handover the Parish to Yangon Archdiocese
5. Fr. S. Joachim 1975-1984
6. Fr. Dominic Khin Soe 1984-86
7. Fr. Joseph Maung Win 1987-2002 North/south Dagon was separated as new Parish of Holy Innocents.
8. Fr. Matthew Than Htay 2002-2005
9. Fr. Cecil Bernard 2005-2007
10. Fr. Anthony Zaw Htun 2007-2009
11. Fr. Simon Tin Maung 2009-